Tuesday, January 20, 2009

'Wish I'd written it' line of the day.

"I sit in fast food bathrooms just to remember your smell."

I can't read Anne Sexton or Kim Addonizio without thinking "Daaaamn. I wish I'd written that." That isn't mutually exclusive to the two of them, obviously. There are so many brilliant writers that leave me scribbling in my notebook, green with envy and wondering if I could bribe their muse into a quick meal from the dollar menu.

But they're usually writers--not teenybopper actresses with uberhigh cleavage and top billing in a movie about traveling pants, for sodding out loud.

Actors and actresses who decide they are poets irk me. See Jewel Kilcher (best-selling "poet" ever) and Billy Corgan for cringe-inducing examples why. It's awesome that they're giving it a try. But dear god, I'm not buying and I generally think their time would be better spent counting their money, polishing their head or yodeling than writing poems with such epic titles as "the poetry of my heart."

But Amber Tamblyn, she of "Joan of Arcadia" and "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" fame, is apparently an exception. She talks poetry in "Bust" magazine this month and little girl can turn a phrase more compelling than the death rattle she made in "The Grudge," aka "The Ju-on That Never Should Have Been."

Don't believe me? Here's another: "My fist thinks you're ugly and would tell you to your face."

Sorry to ruin the one ray of hope: That skinny, beautiful, rich girls must be too stupid to read Dr. Seuss, let alone create their own verse worthy of a second and third look.

2 comments:

  1. good one and soo true. I hate it when singers to do that. Or when actors start singing... I could punch scarlett johansson in the face so hard she landed on top of joaquin phoenix making them both land in a pit of venomous snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep blogging-- and what exactly is the new job?

    ReplyDelete