Monday, January 19, 2009

A metaphor you can walk on.

If I look behind me, the footprints I'm leaving in the sand look like a cluttered closet.
The socks I wear when I write poems.
The sneakers I wore as a checkout girl.
The Chucks I wear to the bar in search of music and inspiration.
The low heels I used to clack through the Statehouse as a reporter.
The galoshes I've donned to tromp through fields in search of a breaking story.
The bunny slippers I wear as a daughter.
The high heels I kick under my desk and unearth only when I need to make an impression.
The bee-stung and bare feet I wore as a child, racing from yard to yard in my 300-resident farming town.
The red-painted toes I wear as a girlfriend, a lover and someday, a fiancé and wife.
The shelves of my closet are cluttered, but far from full.

I'm working on a new style.

So I've traded my tiny town for a metropolitan area with about 2 million people. So far, I know about three dozen of them.
Flanked by a Mechanic and black cat worthy of her own sitcom, I'm embarking on a new career that is decidedly different than the one I've done for the past six years.
But I am delighted to be reacquainted with an old friend I have neglected for decades.
So, Writing for Pleasure, here I am.
In my own little corner of you.
Happy to see me?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley! I love you! Reading your thoughts on cyberspace isn't as good as hanging next to you and your chucks, but it's the best I'm going to get from so far away. Happy trails to your old life and cheers to your new one! I think you'll be even more fantastic in a metropolitan.
    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete